You never know what the day will bring!

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
You never know what kind of day you’re going to have. This morning I decided to go out and hit some curbstrips that looked promising and hopefully have never been explored. I ended up out late, and it was raining by the time I got the detector on the ground. The hunting started off with 3 or 4 clad quarters, and then I ran into a wall of terrible EMI from the electric buses that run in the area. About that time, my internal plumbing notified me that it was doing some express processing of something I ate yesterday. I think most detectorists have a keen awareness of all of the local public facilities in proximity to their hunting areas, and I knew where I had to go. So take off all of the gear, drive to facilities, and then back to hunting area, put the kit back together. Start finding clad again. Finally get a deep 34 – 36 on the Nox. Cut a decent deep plug, but nothing in the plug itself. Pinpointer gives just a peep at the bottom of the hole. I’m thinking irrigation system hardware – again! At this point, before I can finish, my wife calls and says I need to get back home in an hour. Great, I’ve actually been detecting for all of about 45 minutes and now I have to hurry home. After disconnecting, I went back to the hole and removed more dirt, and rocks – usually not a good sign around here. To my surprise there was something shiny at the bottom of the hole. At first, I thought it was an aluminum knock-out plug of some kind. Lo and behold, it was an 1894 O Barber half. My first Barber half, and the oldest coin I have found. It’s well worn, but a beauty anyway. This is my third silver half in 4 months. Next time out maybe I’ll get to put in a few hours. Hoping there’s more silver waiting. Thanks for looking. GL & HH

Attachments

• Barber 3.jpg
    Barber 3.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 574
  • Barber 2.jpg
    Barber 2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 525
  • Barber 1.jpg
    Barber 1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 499
Congrats on the big old barber! Seems alot of the oldest coins in your state come from the curbs. I would be back to that place ASAP. Congrats again!

Outstanding find!! I was geeked out to find my first barber DIME! I'd never put that one down haha. Congrats!!

You never know what kind of day you’re going to have. This morning I decided to go out and hit some curbstrips that looked promising and hopefully have never been explored. I ended up out late, and it was raining by the time I got the detector on the ground. The hunting started off with 3 or 4 clad quarters, and then I ran into a wall of terrible EMI from the electric buses that run in the area. About that time, my internal plumbing notified me that it was doing some express processing of something I ate yesterday. I think most detectorists have a keen awareness of all of the local public facilities in proximity to their hunting areas, and I knew where I had to go. So take off all of the gear, drive to facilities, and then back to hunting area, put the kit back together. Start finding clad again. Finally get a deep 34 – 36 on the Nox. Cut a decent deep plug, but nothing in the plug itself. Pinpointer gives just a peep at the bottom of the hole. I’m thinking irrigation system hardware – again! At this point, before I can finish, my wife calls and says I need to get back home in an hour. Great, I’ve actually been detecting for all of about 45 minutes and now I have to hurry home. After disconnecting, I went back to the hole and removed more dirt, and rocks – usually not a good sign around here. To my surprise there was something shiny at the bottom of the hole. At first, I thought it was an aluminum knock-out plug of some kind. Lo and behold, it was an 1894 O Barber half. My first Barber half, and the oldest coin I have found. It’s well worn, but a beauty anyway. This is my third silver half in 4 months. Next time out maybe I’ll get to put in a few hours. Hoping there’s more silver waiting. Thanks for looking. GL & HH

Couldn't have happened to a harder working detectorist Gale! BIG CONGRATS!:dingding: Very happy for you.....now I know why you have been steering me away from your towns:p.... Just kidding :D

Very nice find! Congratulations!

Thank you.

Outstanding find!! I was geeked out to find my first barber DIME! I'd never put that one down haha. Congrats!!

Big thrill for me too. Thanks.

Wonderful find congrats!!

Thank you.

I gotta say, seeing the silver in the hole is always a great site to see. Congrats!

Thank you sir.

Congrats on the big old barber! Seems alot of the oldest coins in your state come from the curbs. I would be back to that place ASAP. Congrats again!

Yeah, got to get back. Hardly touched the area. Lots of strip left to explore. Thank you.

Couldn't have happened to a harder working detectorist Gale! BIG CONGRATS!:dingding: Very happy for you.....now I know why you have been steering me away from your towns:p.... Just kidding :D

You've been on a pretty good run yourself. I'd like to get a ring like the one you found recently. We need to put another hunt together sooner rather than later. BTW, two of the halves I found have been from curb strips in front of a church. Maybe something to remember.

Congrats on digging a big success to a derailed hunt. Your first Barber Half transform and overcame all the obstacles previous in the hunt. Hope you can return again soon. Trapper

Awesome find! I like the story....reminds me of last weekend when I was way north of home in the land of nothing 2 miles south of Canada when the brown dogs started barking at the back door....they almost got out too! Had to drive 20 miles to the nearest town with a gas station...it was a close one![emoji38]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nice silver congrats.

Thank you.

Congrats on the nice find.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Much appreciated.

Congrats on digging a big success to a derailed hunt. Your first Barber Half transform and overcame all the obstacles previous in the hunt. Hope you can return again soon. Trapper

Thank you. Maybe I'll get back tomorrow! An hour just isn't enough.

Awesome find! I like the story....reminds me of last weekend when I was way north of home in the land of nothing 2 miles south of Canada when the brown dogs started barking at the back door....they almost got out too! Had to drive 20 miles to the nearest town with a gas station...it was a close one![emoji38]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yeah, I've found that I pay close attention to where the Porta Potty's and public facilities are located. You just never know when you're going to need one. And you can't always use the closest tree. People take a dim view of you relieving yourself in public. I also started carrying a roll of toilet paper, pack of disposable wipes and a roll of paper towels. Better to be prepared.

Score!! Finding quarters is a good sign the place hasn't been detected thoroughly. Finding a silver half dollar is proof! Very nice!

I really hope the area is as virgin as it might appear. The EMI is horrible, but it might have deterred earlier hunters.

Way to go! I've only found a few Barber halves around here myself. Not a common sight. Keep up the good work!

Awesome find! Congrats! I've only found one barber anything and it was a dime and I was happy as could be:lol:

Back
Top Bottom