• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Church of the Compadre...

Hi Tahoegold !

Sorry to hear you weren't getting notifications, but better late by a year :roll: than never. :laughing: Seriously, thanks for catching up with your current reply. It means a lot to me and I'll give your method a try using a sample zinc penny to set the dial indicator position.

If I'm interpreting correctly, you are setting the dial indicator using a zinc penny and thumbing back down the arc CCW until the signal is barely detectable with pops and crackles and then leaving the dial set at that position for the rest of your hunt, as apposed to thumbing up and down on every hit like Digger27 does...is that correct ?

Also, do you (a) drop a zinc penny on top of the ground to set the dial, or (b) bury it, or (c) just wait until you get a random hit that sounds like a zinc penny and make the setting with that ?

Again, if I'm interpreting you correctly, it sounds as if your method is a panacea, excluding iron and presumably other trash like steel bottle caps, aluminum stay-tabs, pull-tabs, and foil in all it's forms including those aggravating freshness seals, while still hitting on coins...is that correct ?

Sorry for all the questions, but your results sound so amazing and I want to duplicate the method precisely.

Thanks again 1

ToddB64

Yes, I drop a zinc penny and adjust to it. Where I'm hunting I'm finding quarters and dimes 3-4" deep on average. I sometimes think I may be loosing depth with this so, I use all metal in full when I hit a site with a coin, and then use the thumbing method to look for nickles. Gold rings will show up somewhere around nickle. (I've tested a ring but haven't found one yet. I keep looking though!!) This zinc method I use in super trash locations because it is so tough to take all the chatter. The method of removing the trash in a "hotspot" should be employed as good targets can be masked by trash laying over them. What is amazing about the Compadre is it is able to see "around" some things that mask, better than my other detector. It's not totally able to see through everything. But it seems to do a better job than my other one even when I use the concentric coil. The zinc penny will sound solid but with some crackles when set right. I am going out today where there has been 4×4 activity for years. I use this to avoid all kinds of metals. I'm just cherry picking. Specifically, I'm looking fir old silver coins. There's also areas around here that hace had activity since the 1890s and may have really old coins mixed with can slaw and old iron junk. It's way more fun not hearing anything solid until you hear a solid beep. It even can help with 22 cases. Those drive me crazy in some places, this makes them give a broken signal like the zinc. And sometimes discs them out. Those nickle bulet cases are gone too. I found a 1967 quarter yesterday and that tells me no one is finding coins there. It was a solid signal in the midst of a bunch of broken signals. It made me think, hey, what's that? I kept swinging and it remained clean. Just to the edge were other broken signals. It was several inches deep. I was amazed. Even though it wasn't silver, and it was only a quarter, I smiled, looked at the Compadre and thought, you really do have supernatural powers. My faith was strengthened and my trust increased in my ability to hunt amongst the super trash spots. It almost like a electronic devining rod. Able to pull clad and silver out of a pile of trash! LOL! I'm headed out today again to find out what else is in between the irin and bullet casings! IMG_20190315_120946.jpgIMG_20190315_120927.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Tapatalk

Ok, I wanted to test this and show photos. This is not perfect but it does help quite a bit. Here's the trash that I dug that gave solid signals. And the coins I found. These are 60s and 70s coins. They were about 1 to 3 inches deep and gave solid signals. It's funny, but, once I got used to what the sound of a good target was, I could swing across a bunch of chirpy trash and just hear the target amongst it all. Something in my mind would hear it but my thoughts would be thinking it's probably trash. I would be compelled to dig and I'm always sirprised when that coin pops out. I know I shouldn't be, but, it's so cool how the mind hears that kind of thing. Ok, so, I know there's older coins here and the Compadre is getting the job done. I'm more confident than ever that I can find silver. I think the ear ring is costume jewelery, however, it was there amongst the trash. So was the fishing lure. All the trash was copper or aluminium. I didn't dig any Iron. I love this machine. It's never leaving my aresnal!!
I know these photos were taken correctly. I have no Idea why they are posting upside down...

0315191608.jpg

0315191608a.jpg

0315191608b.jpg

Did you say something Digger, I couldn't understand you :p:lol::lol::lol:. Seriously though I have a number of people in the hobby that I call from time to time from all over the south and I enjoy hearing how they talk, not hard to understand most of them but there are a few that is alittle hard to understand.

you fooled me! i though you was from the mid west!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Hellooo Tahoegold :tiphat:

I see your Compadre wears the 8" dia. "Brown Donut" Coil ! Did you buy it new ? Mine has the 5.75" coil (pseudo sniper).

Gold rings are a nice surprise occasionally when you are calibrated to a zinc penny, or get a zinc penny sounding signal; check out Digger27's thread here: http://www.metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=92200&highlight=Advice+newbies...Let%27s+talk+zinc+gold

I'm attaching a 3-page article on calibrating to a Nickel that was in the Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, Vol. 49, January, 2015 that I thought was good with explicit details. You may need to print hard copies for easier reading.

Re pics being upside down, I assume they were right side up when you uploaded them from your computer folder. You might want to contact Carol K. or Vlad and ask if they can flip them for you. They are glad to help whenever possible. Go to the Profile of either one and send a PM and be sure to include details for navigation to your post.

Thanks for your replies.....interesting!

Happy Hunting !

ToddB64

Attachments

• WESTERN & EASTERN TREASURES, Volume 49, JANUARY 2015, Page 50, Scan_20190316.jpg
    WESTERN & EASTERN TREASURES, Volume 49, JANUARY 2015, Page 50, Scan_20190316.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 602
  • WESTERN & EASTERN TREASURES, Volume 49, JANUARY 2015, Page 51, Scan_20190316.jpg
    WESTERN & EASTERN TREASURES, Volume 49, JANUARY 2015, Page 51, Scan_20190316.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 617
  • WESTERN & EASTERN TREASURES, Volume 49, JANUARY 2015, Page 52, Scan_20190316.jpg
    WESTERN & EASTERN TREASURES, Volume 49, JANUARY 2015, Page 52, Scan_20190316.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
Hi ToddB64,
Yes, I bought it new. It was my first and I have lots of beaches here so I figured I could use the size and depth better than the smaller coil. I really like that it has a open area to sight in the tharet spot. I find tiny things too. I found earing backs, and a half of a staple. It's a great detector for me.
I read those articles and posts. I'll give them a try. I think I'm working virgin ground. There is so much metal in the ground. Look at that trash. There's several ends of motorcycle clutch and break levers. Big aluminium knobs. There's bits and pieces of electrical parts etc all over the ground. A person could spend a day working a 10x10 area and still not get it all. And that's why I figured there were goodies in the mix. Im pulling the items that are sounding off as well as coins. This area is about an acre in size. I have a lifetime of hunting if I want! So, I figure my best chance of finding something of value might be older silver coins. There will be a few times when I dig it all. I don't think I can handle doing that all the time though.

Church of the Compadre Thread

Tahoegold,

Thanks for the reply.

You are a lucky guy to have regular access to beaches; I assume this would give you more chance of finding silver and gold jewelry, even if just the leftovers from last years crowds at this time of the year. ;)

According to the average weather at South Lake Tahoe this time of the year, coupled with some breeze off the lake, it's probably still a bit chilly for the sun worshippers I guess, but summer's coming....right ?

I'm primarily interested in finding gold jewelry for cash money, but since buying my first metal detector, an Ace250 at Christmas, 2005, I haven't found a single solid gold ring of any K value. However, modern coins are plentiful around basketball courts, tot lots, soccer fields and jogging paths. My only jewelry finds have been of the inexpensive costume variety.

The only beach in my area of Ohio is at a fresh water man-made Lake (East Fork) and it eats up too much time going there and returning home. With Parkinson's and Diabetes at age 77 I wear out after 2 hours, so my time is limited and I make do with the Parks close by. My doctor advised me not to drive anymore for my own safety and that of others on the highway, so my wife takes me to the Parks and after a short walk with our dog she waits in the car until I'm done, another reason for keeping my hunt brief.

Good Luck and I hope you get a nice gold surprise digging those zinc penny and Nickel signals !

ToddB64

Hi ToddB64,
Thats why I really value the Compadre for it's simplicity. On short hunts, I fyss less and just hunt. It really tunes my ears that way. I do the same with nickles too. I put one on the dirt I'm hunting and tune it. It works. I go to highway pull outs sometimes. I've found some wheat pennys and an "s" nickle that way. Those are 30% silver!!

Well lets breath a little bit of life into this thread why don't we.

Detected a heavily hunted spot today. I know this is a popular spot for groups to get together and detect. Been pondering on something all week. I bet that they didn't spend much time under that powerline, by the metal fence. So this morning I broke out my $40 flea market Compadre and gave it a whirl. Wouldn't you know it, first hole had a wheatie in it. Didn't find many keepers, but manage a couple of 40's wheat cents, a pair of older nickels and lots and a pocket full of beavertails and can slaw. Ol' Compadre did exactly what it was supposed to.

Understanding Target Signal Characteristics With The Compadre.

Hi All ! :tiphat:

For this post, please see the attachments.

ToddB64

Attachments

• Scan_20200813.jpg
    Scan_20200813.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 410
  • Scan_20200813 (2).jpg
    Scan_20200813 (2).jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 429
ToddB64, only longtime Tesoro users will understand the magic of a Tesoro. All of my very best finds have been with Tesoro detectors.

beephead

Understanding Target Signal Characteristics With The Compadre.

ToddB64, only longtime Tesoro users will understand the magic of a Tesoro. All of my very best finds have been with Tesoro detectors.

beephead

Hi beephead !

Agree 100% on the magic. I don't think you need any help operating a Tesoro, but thanks for dropping in with a supportive comment. :ewink:

The reason for my post no. 1071 is hopefully to help anyone relatively new in this hobby to become more successful finding gold and silver, Natural or in the form of precious Jewelry with a Tesoro, especially if they own a Compadre or are thinking of getting one (New if they can find it or Used; Tesoro Company now being defunct.).

Happy Hunting !
ToddB64

Last edited:
I said I'd never get rid of my Compadre, but I did. Those of you who didn't get to buy a Mojave, missed the boat. It's a supercharged Compadre.

beephead.

I said I'd never get rid of my Compadre, but I did. Those of you who didn't get to buy a Mojave, missed the boat. It's a supercharged Compadre.

beephead.

Supercharged and on steroids...and not exactly the same as a more powerful Compadre but somehow even better.
I called Tesoro once about something and had a nice conversation with Alan Cannon about the Mojave when he was still there.
He said pretty much the same...the Mojave is not just a more powerful Compadre but actually had different tech, it was really a new and different beast.
He also said there was a heated meeting they had about the output power they were deciding to calibrate to before they released it.
Many wanted it even more powerful out of the factory, the thing is not close to being maxed out at all but they decided to dumb it down to make it more stable to work better in more areas of the country because of the many different types of dirt it might encounter.
Scary to think what it might be capable of if the max transmit power guys won that one.

You may not believe me but my Mojave just works way better and easier than my Vaq ever did around here.
Still likes iron a bit but nothing like the Vaq and much better depth despite the massive power of the Vaq.
Maybe not exactly the same penetrating power but the stability and ID's on deeper targets are much more accurate, for sure, so I am finding better, deeper targets than my Vaq ever found for me in this mess I hunt in.
The Compadre works well here too, can't count the amount of great severely masked targets it has found for me around here but the Mojave beats it on depth by several inches and it still possesses all the same uncanny superpowers.
I still own both the older 7" coil Compadre and a Mojave and I have no plans on getting rid of either one...ever!

Last edited:
I read somewhere that there were only 200 Mojaves ever produced. I'm not sure how many Compadres that there are out there in the World. My very first detector was a Compadre and I'm thankful for that because it tought me to listen to THE 'audio' tone rather than just look at ID numbers and depend on assigned audio tones.

Summer is about over with and it's time for me to start detecting again.

beephead

Old post topic brought back to life by ToddB64, and I should ignore it. Old news from a deceased manufacturer .... however ....

Initially, when first introduced in May of 2000, I was a Tesoro Dealer and it was an OK offering at a reasonable price to get folks started. That as the good thing, plus it came with a 7" Concentric coil which was great for most applications.

But from the gets-go, that one-knob Compadre beckoned many consumers to open it up and mess around with all the trim pots to try and make it work better, hunt deeper, handle their ground and all sorts of reasons. Then end result was so many 'as-new' Compadres I took on trade had been tweaked to the point of being way out-of-whack. They had to all be recalibrated to get them workable and sellable, and that happened so often I stopped taking in ANY Compadre regardless of who owned it.

Yes, if someone had / has one that works properly and hasn't been messed up, it's an OK detector.

The last dying breath Tesoro Electronics made shed some hope on their future with the release of the Mojave and the redesigned 7" Concentric coil. Great dual-Ground Balance setting concept, and it had all the adjustment range (ED-180) of the Compadre, but more of the functions and workable depth-of-detection as the Silver µMAX. I was told by Tesoro folks it was planned to replace the Compadre and Silver µMAX, which was a good idea. Then build on some newer design concept and bring out a newer higher-end Tesoro.

Sadly, that never happened. But today, I would encourage and used-detector shopper to consider a Mojave rather than a Compadre. A much better package, overall, with some 'different' circuitry and behavior than the Compadre.

Monte

Old post topic brought back to life by ToddB64, and I should ignore it. Old news from a deceased manufacturer .... however ....

Initially, when first introduced in May of 2000, I was a Tesoro Dealer and it was an OK offering at a reasonable price to get folks started. That as the good thing, plus it came with a 7" Concentric coil which was great for most applications.

But from the gets-go, that one-knob Compadre beckoned many consumers to open it up and mess around with all the trim pots to try and make it work better, hunt deeper, handle their ground and all sorts of reasons. Then end result was so many 'as-new' Compadres I took on trade had been tweaked to the point of being way out-of-whack. They had to all be recalibrated to get them workable and sellable, and that happened so often I stopped taking in ANY Compadre regardless of who owned it.

Yes, if someone had / has one that works properly and hasn't been messed up, it's an OK detector.

The last dying breath Tesoro Electronics made shed some hope on their future with the release of the Mojave and the redesigned 7" Concentric coil. Great dual-Ground Balance setting concept, and it had all the adjustment range (ED-180) of the Compadre, but more of the functions and workable depth-of-detection as the Silver µMAX. I was told by Tesoro folks it was planned to replace the Compadre and Silver µMAX, which was a good idea. Then build on some newer design concept and bring out a newer higher-end Tesoro.

Sadly, that never happened. But today, I would encourage and used-detector shopper to consider a Mojave rather than a Compadre. A much better package, overall, with some 'different' circuitry and behavior than the Compadre.

Monte

Thanks for the insight, Monte.

There is plenty of good advice and directions on modding the Compadre on the forums, just a little tiny twist on the gain pot and most saw a little depth improvement.
Many decided to mess with the GB pot too although most adamantly cautioned against it because that would really screw up the thing if you actually didn't know what you were doing as would the gain but that didn't stop many with no knowledge or common sense trying it because as we all know common sense isn't really all that common.
I have no way of knowing for sure but I bet more than 50% of the owners that tried this had no business taking even one screw out of that faceplate to get in there but they did anyway.
The fact that Tesoro had that "send it in for free to fix or calibrate for life no questions asked" warranty surely didn't help much and they held onto that policy for years longer than they should have in my opinion.
Definitely fix any issues under the original owner warrantee I could see them keeping but any owner down the line with any problem, fumble fingered caused or not, just saw this as a free get out of jail card forever which was a mistake looking at it from a business point of view.
If there was no real cost to ever fix anything there was no risk at all in even gambling and trying so way too many did.
Some say the extra special warranty was one of the main things that drove their business.
I say it was a drain on the bottom line, cost them way too much for too long and other detector manufacturers didn't do it that way and somehow managed to stay in business and in the end they finally changed that way too generous policy but it was too late and it didn't help them, anyway.
Just one of many mistakes they made over the years that eventually killed them.

A shame...the Mojave is a decent upgrade over the Compadre and easily could have replaced it in their lineup and probably the Silver too so they were capable of forward thinking and some sort of technical advancements.
A new upline improved detector would have been welcomed, God knows people were begging for it for years, but as far as they ever got was that stupid contest to name the Cazador way before any manufacturing plans were put into real world reality.
That was the beginning of the end for them as far as I am concerned and only made them a complete laughingstock when everyone realized it was never going to happen.
The company died when Jack Gifford died, it just didn't know it at the time.
The two brothers either didn't have the same skills and vision as their dad or maybe they fought about the direction of the company behind the scenes so much the one brother gave up and just left.
Vince, the one that stayed, as nice of a guy as most said he was just wasn't up to it and success was just not in his future.

All just a sad history of a once great company but when all was said and done and the smoke cleared I still ended up with an older, successfully modded and pretty hot Compadre AND a Mojave.
So I am good.

Last edited:
Will someone be picking up the torch for the Tesoro Compadre ?

Hi All ! :tiphat:

I'm too old and feeble to do it justice, but wondering if some energetic young person could step into Digger27's shoe's
so-to-speak and resume carrying the torch for the great little Compadre, especially after all the praise and worship that went on in the Church.

Digger27's last sermon was #1078, August 19, 2020, 06:42 PM, on page 108, and now the offering plates are empty brothers and sisters! After that, D27's been giving his praises to the F5, and others !

Oh how easily we forget the virtues of the one who saved pocketbooks and brought new members into the fold. :crying:

ToddB64

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom