Finders-Keepers Rule vs. Finders-Keepers Reality

All I know is if you have one foot on the sand and one foot in the water, they can't send you back to Haiti or Cuba. But if you have both feet in the water, they can send you back. Must be the same idiots who came up with the "50-year" rule!

I'm going to have to get a badge. Do you have any extras?
I have 2 step sons that are cops, maybe I can get one from them.

The only reason I have one now is that they changed the design and issued us new ones. I had to turn in the "new" badge when I quit and moved to Colorado. They let me keep the old style badge.

Dusty

I agree that this is an unjust law. The topic seems to come up a lot on the metal detecting forums, but I have never seen a discussion about anyone doing anything to try to change the laws. There has to be a an option other than live with an unjust law or breaking it. We should be able to change it.

I realize that the metal detecting community is not large compared to the overall population, but it appears to be a handful of academics and State archeologists that have gotten these laws passed. Seems that a small group of determined people could get these laws changed.

Among those of us who complain about these laws...how many of us have ever written to or called out representatives? I know I haven't.

From what I have read, in Europe, they are required to turn these finds in, but they are compensated for them once the value is determined. Granted, the assessed value appears to be considerably less than their actual value, but at least they have a system that allows people to find and preserve the historic items and provides some compensation to the finder. Maybe we could get laws more like that.

Thoughts?
-Mike-

You don't need to take ANYTHING older than 50 years from that beach. It is against the law! I have been watching the beach detectorists for 42 years and have been arresting them with a vigor. I do NOT allow people to take away artifacts that are 50+ years old. If you try it you WILL be arrested personally by ME.

In section 1192 of code 91-2 it is illegal to take objects from the beach that were lost and will never be recovered otherwise. I'll see you in court!

Easy does it, bonesquat. Don't get your shorts in a knot!

You don't need to take ANYTHING older than 50 years from that beach. It is against the law! I have been watching the beach detectorists for 42 years and have been arresting them with a vigor. I do NOT allow people to take away artifacts that are 50+ years old. If you try it you WILL be arrested personally by ME.

In section 1192 of code 91-2 it is illegal to take objects from the beach that were lost and will never be recovered otherwise. I'll see you in court!

Ha! Lets send a super secret satellite into outer-space to watch the dirt diggin, tombraiding, pull tab hoarding, metal detectorists, in case they find a quarter.

Then we can put them in the stocks and throw stones at em!:lol:

Give me a break

Bonesquat...........

:?:What do you do for a living? You some kind of FEDERAL MARSHALL or something? You with the Government? ....
Remember this I merely inquire as to your position of authority and what motivates you to start threatening people with "I'll see you in court" when you are on the "FRIENDLY METAL DETECTING" site. Warm Regards, Mykie:shock:

Ohhhhhhhh

A leg puller! Now, I get it. Yeah, and I got my jockies all up around my neck over that one! Tee hee hee.........:lol::lol::lol: :lol:

I recently read an article about where they were tying to preserve a Civil War battle sight. They bought and tore down a Pizza Hut to return the land to how it was then. A golf course was also returned to like it had been. The Mayor was saying how great it was that a lot of artifacts had been discovered during the time. Things that they hadn't even suspected of being there. It's too bad other government officials don't see things that way. They would rather preserve the by then rust for future generations. I guess our generation doesn't matter.

i've found bottlecaps older than 50 yrs old......guess i'll turn those in :lol:

:?:What do you do for a living? You some kind of FEDERAL MARSHALL or something? You with the Government? ....
Remember this I merely inquire as to your position of authority and what motivates you to start threatening people with "I'll see you in court" when you are on the "FRIENDLY METAL DETECTING" site. Warm Regards, Mykie:shock:

Let's see, Bonesquat said: "... I have been watching the beach detectorists for 42 years and have been arresting them with a vigor...."

Yet, if you check his profile page, he lists his age as 22 years. Maybe he is pulling all our legs? :roll:

Let's see, Bonesquat said: "... I have been watching the beach detectorists for 42 years and have been arresting them with a vigor...."

Yet, if you check his profile page, he lists his age as 22 years. Maybe he is pulling all our legs? :roll:

I've been a federal mashall for 54 years...you do the math. Last month alone I arrested 712 metal detectorists on the beaches here in North Alabama.

Yeah, alotta surfers dropping 50 year old bling in Alabama.

On a semi related note (government and detecting) this just occurred to me - could you write off your equipment and travel expenses, as a tax writeoff? And call the "finds" the profit? Maybe I should go into the "business" of treasure hunting - buy a nice etrac....................... I mean, fair is fair, since the gubbernmint wants a cut all the time.............

Now, I know that .......

folks in the deep south, and nothing is up north in Alabama, moves a might bit slower, but the way I see it you got to be 76 to 86 years old. Even if I was pulling a shipwreck outta the Gulf in front of some of those beautiful beaches and belles on them, I got to figure I can out run ya? :lol:

I've been a federal mashall for 54 years...you do the math. Last month alone I arrested 712 metal detectorists on the beaches here in North Alabama.

In that case you might want to fix your profile page. :D

bonesquat.jpg

sounds like you had a busy month....that would be 23 detectorists a day :shock:......shouldn't you be doin some paperwork insted of surfin the net :lol:

Back
Top Bottom