Ethical question

Look at it this way it was legally her ring. She didn't want it and tossed it.

Well... this may vary based on where you live, but MOST states in the U.S. suggest that if you purchase an item and give it to someone "AS A GIFT" it is no longer your possession legally. Transfer of ownership becomes the recipient of the gift. If she yanked it off his hand or took it from his belongings, she in fact, STOLE the ring and discarded of it. Sooo.... if you want to get real technical, it's now stolen property. lol

You sir could be in possession of stolen property... LOL

Well... this may vary based on where you live, but MOST states in the U.S. suggest that if you purchase an item and give it to someone "AS A GIFT" it is no longer your possession legally. Transfer of ownership becomes the recipient of the gift. If she yanked it off his hand or took it from his belongings, she in fact, STOLE the ring and discarded of it. Sooo.... if you want to get real technical, it's now stolen property. lol

You sir could be in possession of stolen property... LOL

From what I understand it was her ring that she took off and tossed? I would assume it was her engagement ring. I wish my ex GF's would give me back the gold I gave them, i'd make some nice $$$ on melt. :)

......just by the mere fact you brought this to the attention of the forum shows you have an ethical indecision weighing heavy on your conscious. You know what is right and what is wrong. Do the right thing!

I guess another angle might be what kind of guy might he have been to cause his wife to throw away a $2k ring?? Maybe he is the creep.
Hey now..........it is always the womans fault, plus they get half of every thing and keep all the, nevermind.

Hey now..........it is always the womans fault, plus they get half of every thing and keep all the, nevermind.

They get everything. Period!!!!!!!:yes::D:yes: At least mine did, I got my military uniforms, a manual typewriter (what's that?) and my car that I had paid for. That was it. Oh, and the clothes I was wearing that she didn't toss in the trash or burn. But she never got my BH metal detector!!!:lol::D:lol:

Dusty

Tough call. You say that you "guess" he looked for it. Did he really or you just guessing? Also his window for negotiating was when he told you not to put away your detector. That's when he could have said he really wanted it back. Or maybe he would give you a reward. I mean sure he will want it but what exactly was his effort to find it? It may have been none?

If I ever knew my wife was going to divorce me i'd sell my detectors and all my other important things to my brother for a dollar then split the dollar with her. :D Of course I would have to get married first and despite my parents insistence that i'd do it before im an old man i'd rather spend my money (as little as it is) on cars and toys and my spare time hitting the bars checking out the ladies with my buddies for now. :lol:

Fellas, I've seen both side in this type of fight via siblings and their spouses. If the guy is cool give it back over a beer. His old lady wuz stupid enough to toss it, she dont need the ring or cash, the dude has been screwed and needs the cash himself.

You"ll make a friend-never know how handy that may be...someday :roll:

Well if he is a friend, I would probably say something like,

Hey remember that ring you told me about? Well I bought this nifty metal detector, and I found it. what do you think We should do with it?

See what he says. He may just tell you to keep it to do with what you want.

If he is a friend, is the ring worth costing you the friendship?

Two things will cost you a good friendship faster than anything .... women and money :lol:

Ask yourself what it's worth.

Sorti

In this case I would wish I never knew. Since thats not the case and saince he is being called friend..seems to me you'd level with him and if he is a friend he throw you a few bills for your help. If he is strapped and specially if he has kids it can be rough with high support granted these days.

Ultimately it's your call as your the only one here who really knows the situation. The rest of us can only comment from the outside looking in.

If you feel guilt for keeping it... then sell it and keep half give him the other half... it if was me I would thank him for the tip and thats about all :D

You found it and plan on deceiving a friend for money?... even made a plan to lie to him if he does ask you... how deep are you willing to go to hide this $2000 find.............. for the rest of your life?

Your conscience is telling you something.

You found it and plan on deceiving a friend for money?... even made a plan to lie to him if he does ask you... how deep are you willing to go to hide this $2000 find.............. for the rest of your life?

Your conscience is telling you something.

woman do it everyday :lol:.......just kidding

You owe your friend a call, stop trying to rationalize the find and do the right thing. You will feel better in the long run and always have a great story you will be proud to tell.
I once found a gold class ring from 1971. It turned out to be my next door neighbors son growing up. I gave it back to his mother when I had the chance. Thirty years later I can still say I did what my grandmother would have done.....

You owe your friend a call, stop trying to rationalize the find and do the right thing. You will feel better in the long run and always have a great story you will be proud to tell.
I once found a gold class ring from 1971. It turned out to be my next door neighbors son growing up. I gave it back to his mother when I had the chance. Thirty years later I can still say I did what my grandmother would have done.....
Did your grandmother metal-detect?

Back
Top Bottom